Friday, May 28, 2010

Where are the ballots?

I've been getting calls from GVEA members looking for their ballots for the bylaws election. Whether they got trashed with the Ruralite or something deferred them, it is of concern when those who want to vote don't get it. We don't have a stated process for a failed vote. It could get interesting. A couple of the bylaws allow for voting by internet. THAT also could get interesting.

I've also gotten calls from members asking to have the bylaw change sections explained, as they trust me to give them the straight scoop (by implication, and not GVEA). While gratifying to have their trust, my (apparently) long term goal is to have GVEA exhibit a substance of transparency and good decision-making to increase the trust. People seem real suspicious.

I'd also like to see a non-partisan party be the ones to receive the ballot. That might help members' confidence in the ballot handling. Not that I think funny business is going on, but just the potential/appearance.

Members should come down to GVEA 5:30-6:00 pm on June 8 for the start of the ballot processing and count. Interesting to see how it's done and they supply refreshments.

Well, the power is flickering on and off. I'll close here before I lose my text.